Saturday, June 03, 2006

Where I'm Starting From

Bismillahirrahmanirraheem.
In the presence of so much and contradictory information on nutrition I need some frame of reference. I'm going to
My filter will have to be Qur'an and what makes sense. I had a whole list of food related hadith. My scholar brother then told me many of food hadith are fabricated. That was a bit diappointing. So I'll just keep the ones that match up with what I'm learning to be true.
Here are my biases:
Milk is good-
We have Ayat to support this. There are long list of diseases said to be caused by milk. From my research so far, this is because of pasturization, not the inate horribleness of milk.
Raw food-
So far I'm not convinced all food should be eaten raw. Not even to the point of MOST food should be raw. I think (but am not sure) we have rules against raw meat.
Sweets-
I know honey is good. (Again, Ayat) I am willing to concede refined sugars as someting to avoid. My current theory (I love theories) is sweet in an inborn attraction. Breastmilk is sweet. Fruits are sweet.
Fat-
I know olive oil is good. I need to study more about the particulars i.e. does it have to be extra virgin (probably), how would it have to be stored, etc. I am willing to accept coconut and palm oils. (There are lots of Qur'anic references to palms) I personally need fat with every meal to be happy. Butter? I'm reading lots of good things about it and it tastes delicious!
Meat-
It wasn't forbidden and we have hadith to eat it every so often. I'm willing to have it limited, but not eliminated.
Grain-
It's mentioned in a positive way in Qur'an so I am not going with the crowd that says its bad. That it needs certain preparation techniques I'm open to.
That's all I can think of so I'll add more if I remember anything else.

2 Comments:

At 11:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

salaamz smart older sister!!!!
i knew you were better than me.
shukie says HOLA!!

i love you

ur little sis

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Sis. Kareemah said...

Woohoo!! my first comment!!
I'm so happy. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home